Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Simplify

This time of year, like every season, gives us a chance to take one path or another. To make a choice.



Peace or chaos.



Calm words or harsh words.



Simple or frenzied.




Well done or just done.



I haven't always made the right choice, and each day offers me many, many opportunities to choose again. Sometimes I make the choice my Father would have me make, other times I don't.

Two things I have done this season, that have made a big difference:
1. Christmas cards. I have sent them, but I did not write one word on them. Usually I send these long, detailed, personal messages and let that person know how much I love them. Not this year. Thanks to my mother, who suggested the crazy idea, I didn't write one word. Just had my four year old blessing stuff the envelopes with the preprinted message on it. It hurt a little bit, but it was oh so worth it. Because they are done.

2. Not attending every thing I am invited to, even if the schedule is free. Yikes! We have decided that we will never have time to read the Christmas story to our kids, we will never have time to do meaningful advent devotions, we will never have time to read just for fun, if we are gone every night at some awesome Christmas party or concert. Some nights, it is good to just be home, even if that means missing something. Which, if I am honest, I haven't missed at all.

How have you simplified this season? I'd love to learn from you.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed catching up on your blog tonight....I'm actually awake past nine pm.:) Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete