Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

ouch in a good way


I am reading the Gospel of Mark, it seems like for the very first time.

it isn't the first time, but it may as well be.

so good. so hard.

there is a boy.

with problems.

big problems and big consequences.

this problem is "robbing" the little boy, the Scripture says. Robbing him of speech. (So many things that are being robbed around me as a result of problems...peace, joy, love)

his father is desperate for help.

he brings his son to the disciples for help. they cannot help even though they try.

his father brings the boy to Jesus.

Jesus knows the boy has problems and let's the father explain the problem.

his father confesses his belief that falls short. he knows it isn't where it should be.

Jesus deals with the boy's specific problems. the boy is healed.

the disciples want to know why they can't solve the big problems themselves, without Him bailing them out for all the world to see.

Jesus says that this evil, this problem can only be dealt with by prayer.

they can't do it on their own.

and they are exposed for the prayerless followers that they are.

ouch.

(do I have any children with big problems? are my children being "robbed of _____" whatever as a result of their big problem? am I trying to fix those problems without prayer?! am I bringing them to Jesus, trusting His healing and timing? do I think I can do it on my own?)

"Now, don't be took quick to condemn the disciples. I think there is a whole lot of prayerless Christianity in the church of Jesus Christ. I think we often try to defeat, in our own strength, things that we have no capacity whatsoever to defeat. We attempt to do in our own power things that we have no ability to do without empowering grace.



No comments:

Post a Comment