Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

blanket time

while homeschooling or cooking or practicing violin, or anything else that requires a little space, we use a very helpful tool called blanket time.


I did not create blanket time. (thank you, Ezzos!)

Nor did I blanket time would ever work for *my* kids.

But then a couple years ago, I had to keep my toddler Ezra off of the soccer fields while we watched his siblings play, and I was desperate.

so we pulled out a towel and put it on the floor at home with some toys, and told him not to get off. Of course he got off immediately. I took him by the hand and led him back. He got off again. This happened many many times.

I set a timer for two minutes, and when it went off, he could get up. We had a party.

The next day, we set the timer for 5 minutes. And then we gradually increased the time he was to be on the blanket.

While the first few days took lots of redirecting back to the blanket, I eventually was able to watch soccer games in peace, without my little guy racing all over the field.

And now Malachi is learning the same skill!

Try it. It helps so much!

1 comment:

  1. for real? do you think i would with levi - at 16 months?

    ReplyDelete