Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Forgiveness

Today I am thinking about forgiveness.

What is it?
What does it mean?
What does it mean on a practical level?
What does it mean for me today?
How do I relate when I haven't forgiven?
How do I relate when I have?
Do I have to forgive?
If I forgive, does that mean I also forget?

As I work through this today, I realize that so many of the choices I make today about what forgiveness means will impact my children. And so it makes it even more important that I get this right. It impacts generations!

I parked at desiringGod.org this morning for my quiet time, getting some good ol'fashioned teaching and preaching about forgiveness by John Piper.

As you can imagine, there were many good things to read.

I grabbed a hold of this:
"You can actually look someone in the face and say: 'I forgive you, but I don't trust you.' But O how crucial is the heart here. What would make that an unforgiving thing to say is if you were thinking this: 'What's more, I don't care about ever trusting you again; and I won't accept any of your efforts to try to establish trust again; in fact, I hope nobody ever trusts you again, and I don't care if your life is totally ruined.' That is not a forgiving spirit. And our souls would be in danger."

Oh how my heart needs to be taught, again and again, to forgive.

3 comments:

  1. I have spent some time @ desiringod.com myself this week. I have a healthy love for all things John Piper :) I actually thought of you as I was re-reading one of my favorite poems on their site. It is by Piper's son Karsten and is in the blog archives- I think the blog is titled "Sometimes He kills us to save us." The poem is an exposition of Mark 10:25. (I could just send it to you, but instead I am spending 5 minutes trying to direct you there :) I am crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the book As we forgive? It is about forgiveness and the genocide in Rwanda. It is a great book to read. Especially since you are adopting from Rwanda. I've been reading everything about Rwanda before we go pick up our daughter this weekend and this was one of my favorites.
    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete