Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

8 great dates

Back in February or March, I started to research books that I wanted to read in order to get me ready to talk with Marie about things/changes that are getting ready to happen in her life.

I asked friends.

I googled.

I amazoned.

I read blogs.

I scoured our church library and our public library for materials that explained things in a beautiful, clear way.

Wow.

It was hard to find something I liked!

Some books just gave WAY too much information right off the bat.

Some books had a tone about them that just made these changes seem silly, or like something to mock. Even "christian" books.

But then I found some that may just work, that may give me a map, a plan, a road sign for how to navigate the changes coming soon with dignity and confidence that this is what God planned.

After much thought and deliberation, I bought:
and
I think this American Girl book is very well done. My only beef is that they introduce eating disorders, which I totally don't get. This is a very introductory book about your body and nutrition and health, so introducing what *might* happen or potential problems with eating seems too soon to me (especially when there are a gazillion problems that might happen with all the other things they are introducing, like irregular periods or mood disorders, but none of that gets brought up (nor should it at this point) so why eating disorders get full pages at this stage is beyond me). But I bought it anyway for its respectful tone and clear explanations.

I also bought this for her and this for me.

And then this happened. And my search for great materials and soul food for our upcoming conversations stopped.

Until recently.

Ready or not, the questions are coming. The books came out of the closet. The first date was planned and here is a glimpse:


More details on our first great date to come!

2 comments:

  1. please tell marie to stop growing so fast... what a beautiful young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are the books I choose too, and really like them!

    ReplyDelete