Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

getting ready

today is a day for the kitchen.

a day for different.

a day for good smells.

a day for giving thanks.

the school books have been put away, not to be seen again for several days.

the hymns are on, the washing machine is doing its last load for a few days.

we took naps.



we watched a movie.

and we cooked. and we cooked. and we cooked.

I tried something new. I had one helper per dish instead of six helpers for six dishes. It went much better that way, once everybody understood they would all get a turn.

big days like this are such a good time for reflection for me. the fact that last Thanksgiving, two of my children were orphans, alone, without brothers or sisters or parents or grandparents or cousins is enough for me to say, you know what? my cranberry sauce can come from a can this year.

because it just doesn't matter.

no turkey crafts, too much baking soda in the pumpkin bread, messy rooms.

it is the perfect year to say no to perfectionism, isn't it?

yes, it is.

two orphans-no-more around my table this year.

we are ready to pause. we are ready to give thanks. we are already giving thanks. deeply.




No comments:

Post a Comment