Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Calm My Anxious Heart


No adoption news. Just so you know!

I am reading this great book entitled Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. I am reading it with a bunch of girls and we discuss it each Tuesday night. It has been refreshing to my soul. The Lord is gently convicting me of how I need to spend some time this summer planning my life. The author quotes another author, Dr. Richard Swenson, from his marvelous book Margin:
"Americans are notoriously shortsighted. We live in a state of myopic mania that blurs the future. The horizon is never visible in the middle of a dust storm. But we must have a vision that extends beyond tomorrow. Living only from week to week is like a dot-to-dot life."
She writes a little later in the chapter about how we spend more time planning a summer vacation than we do planning our lives. This is so true in my life. Any suggestions for how to live day to day with the big picture in mind? My goal is to do something akin to a purpose statement, that I can review each morning during my quiet time. I feel like I need daily reminders of what my life is all about.

2 comments:

  1. Regan, Just saw your blog on the AWAA-Rwanda yahoo group and added you to my bloglist on my blog.--Hope that is okay! We applied about two weeks after you guys, but seem to be about a month behind in terms of paperwork- we are still waiting on our homestudy report to be done. God bless you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regan,

    I'm so glad to have your new site address! I thought you were totally discouraged and not posting at all every time I checked your old blogsite. I'll be keeping up with you now.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete