Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Little by Little

Now that I am enjoying the freedom that being done with paper chasing brings, I am looking for all sorts of new ways to fill my time. As I started making a mental list of all the things I could set my mind to accomplishing, my mind started to get crowded and overwhelmed, wondering when in the world I was going to get any of it done.

My school room, for example, is a total wreck. Not that this is a surprise to anyone who has seen it before, or that this state of affairs is any different than it has been ever in my short little homeschooling life. But it has been blissfully ignored and walked over for, just, ages. I was beginning to feel some conviction, some gentle, loving conviction, that perhaps the time may have come to begin, just begin, dealing with a few of those piles.

As I contemplated all my new free time, I realized as well that somehow, over the last month, we have really ignored our budget/receipts. We are just in love with Quicken and how it keeps track of all that stuff for us with such ease. But it is only a beautiful, helpful tool if you enter in the receipts, not if you leave your receipts in the biggest, most unmanageable pile of receipts you've ever seen on anyone's desk in your whole life. Of course, I could just wait until the bank downloads it into Quicken for us, but then it wouldn't know how to categorize it for us. Was $20 spent on groceries at WalMart, for example, or $20 spent on miscellaneous items? And if you really don't care if it was groceries or miscellaneous (my personal favorite category), then you really don't need to bother with Quicken.

Anyhoo, can you sense the dilemma? Where to start? What to do? As I discussed these things with my husband, my wonderful, precious husband, we came up with a never-before-tried plan where he would take the entire gang to his parents' house, and give me time to work, alone!

Joel has given me lots of time to myself over the years, without the blessings, just to kinda, you know, recharge. He has reserved hotel rooms, just for me, while he stayed home with the kids and sent me on my way with magazines and chocolate, which is very important. I so recommend this to anyone reading.

But this time, I was going to be alone, in my very own house. This is a new twist. I started to think about all the things I could secretly put in our give away box while the kids were gone. I started to think about all that could be accomplished in that school room. On that desk.

I packed the kids up real quick.

I have a few hours left of quiet and they will return today in time for lunch. Then violin. Then school. And within moments, we will be back to the loudness and craziness that is so normal around here.

As I think about it, I realize that the trick will be to find ways to get these big tasks done even when my blessings are here, underfoot and needing me every few minutes. I remember the Lord giving me a sweet "trick" when I was first married and learning how to do all the things that wives do, and not doing it so well. One morning in desperation, as I read my Bible, I read:

Exodus 23:30 Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land.

and later again in Deuteronomy 7:22

The Lord your God will drive out those nations before you, little
by little. You will not be allowed to eliminate them all at once,
or the wild animals will multiply around you.



This sweet word has saved my tail over and over again. This is what God taught me. No matter how overwhelming: little by little. Step by step. To not be slack in my work or overindulgent in my computer time.

And while eliminating my work load all at once sounds really good to me, it is not reality, it is not the nature of my work load (my current work load tends to really repeat itself, like several times a day), and in this case, and the cases of those quoted above, it is not what God deems best. He says "we're gonna do this little by little."

So, the plan when my blessings return is to do a little each day. And then I will do a little bit tomorrow.

But for now, I am enjoying the quiet, the insane productivity you can achieve when all alone.

And I am lovin' it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Regan, I got your blog from another family adopting from Rwanda: the Spores. My husband and I are in the beginning stages of researching an adoption in Rwanda. God has done a miraculous move on our hearts and now we are trying to walk forward in faith. Our heart is in Africa, more specifically Rwanda. I was wondering how you decided upon AWAA and also how the experience has been. Also, did you have any trouble getting accepted even though you have four children? Their paper work they sent us said only families with two kids. We have three and I was sad to think it wouldn't work out for us. I know your busy (I homeschool as well), but if you ever have a moment I would love to hear your insight. Meanwhile, I will follow your blog. May God bless your journey!! Julie Thompson thompsonwriting@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just found your blog and stopping by to say HI- we are also adopting from Rwanda and just got our approval letter last week! God Bless your journey and paper chase. We hope to follow your story too! Jen Bill and EMilia

    ReplyDelete