Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Watermelon Salsa

I know this is not a recipe blog, or a cooking blog, or anything like that.

This blog was created to document our adoption journey, to share with others what we are doing and why we are doing it, and to remember. I know that as the days roll on, I will forget all that God has done each day, each moment of this process. So, mainly I blog to remember.

"Set up for yourself roadmarks,
Place for yourself guideposts;
Take note of the highway,
The way by which you went."
Jeremiah 31:21

Since there won't be any adoption news any time soon, I have a choice to make. I can either just lay low, and not blog really at all since this is an adoption blog and there is no adoption news going on, OR I can blog about a few other things, even if they aren't adoption related.

I can blog about all things I want to remember, not just adoption things I want to remember.

So, with that in mind, I just have to take a detour for today and tell you about the most amazing thing. It is called Watermelon Salsa. I had never heard of it before yesterday, and am not really even that big of a watermelon fan. But I bought this huge one last week to have for our last big summer cook out over Labor Day weekend, and, well, my family wasn't here! So I had this big huge watermelon and no one around to eat it.

So I delayed the cookout a bit until Tuesday night, when a bunch of guys come over here for dinner and Bible study, and served it all cut up, as you would expect, since it's not really good unless it is cut. I still had over half of it left. What can I possibly do with all that watermelon?

Thankfully, last night I was hosting a baby shower for my sweet friend, Erin. I had yet another large group of people coming over who could help eat this huge watermelon.

But how could I jazz it up a bit?

I happened to have two large pineapples, one of which was being used as a centerpiece. The other one just needed to be cut up and enjoyed. So I put my leftover watermelon, and my freshly cut pineapple, all in the same bowl. Then I just began to add the salt. If that sounds gross to you, I understand. It didn't sound right to me either.

But then I tried it.

Watermelon and salt is absolute heaven. And pineapple. And salt. And red onion. And salt. And then a splash of balsamic vinegar. And salt. And feta cheese. And salt. And fresh basil. And salt. And fresh mint. And salt. And then the magic magic: banana peppers, and a bit of banana pepper juice.

I have never tasted anything so unbelievable. Definitely something to remember.

Serve with Tostitos Scoops and you will be in heaven.

Just in time for the big NFL game tonight!

3 comments:

  1. i WANT the recipe!!

    melon and salt is excellent as well. i've been doing that for years. brings out the sweetness even more!! mom and dad think i'm nuts - but it's delish.

    not so happy about the game on thursday, stupid steelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great new picture of caleb on the side - is he a pirate?? so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum... Thanks for the cooking inspiration!

    ReplyDelete