Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Walking The Walk Today

Sometimes I can feel good about myself and the way I have walked the walk. The way I don't just say the Gospel is important to me, I actually live it.

Other days, I am convicted that my walk couldn't be further from my talk. I am convicted of being a phony.

Beth Moore gave this talk on LifeToday years ago about the Law of the Harvest. Reaping what we sow... "that now actions have profound later results."
She said, "Every single one of us, spending our life's energy on planet earth at this hour, are sowing some kind of seed. And our now sowing will have later reaping, that's what the Word of God says."




Ouch.

I am so grateful for this teaching, this reminder, this pointing out what the word of God actually says. Because, somewhere along the way, I somehow began to believe that no matter what I sow, I will reap something beautiful and godly.

For instance, in my life,
I find myself sowing time away from my kids, but wanting to reap closeness to them, an intimate relationship.

I am sowing lots of time in front of the computer reading blogs (and loving them), but wanting to reap a clean house and beautifully planned meals.

I am sowing staying up late watching the Olympics (or whatever!) but wanting to reap a readiness to spend time with God in the wee morning hours when my blessings are still asleep.

I am sowing a really weak prayer life, but wanting to reap dramatic stories of God's intervention.

My kind of sowing doesn't produce the kind of reaping that I want so much. It's like planting cabbage and expecting roses. How foolish would that be? To really think that you are going to reap something different than you sow?

God, thank You for opening my eyes to that today, and give me the courage and discipline to change even ONE thing that I am sowing. Help me sow kindness in my words to my children, unselfishness in the afternoon when I need to be getting dinner ready and I really want to be doing something else, discipline when I make choices for the moment instead of for my ultimate good.

1 comment: