Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

memory lane

I mentioned that our family took two outings when we were out of town for that beautiful wedding we went to. I never got back on to post about the second outing so here it is:

We left for home and left 3 of our blessings with Grammy and Gramps for several days.

on our way back home, Joel asked if we could take the scenic route home.
(my favorite way is always the scenic route, so he knew what i would say)

we drive down roads he grew up on, and he remarks on how different it all is now. how it is all built up. how when he grew up, these roads were country roads, and now they are marked with McDonald's and gas stations.

he decided to drive by the house he grew up in, which we have done before, but this time was different. there is a "for sale" sign in front of this house, and it was obvious after staring at it for a few minutes that it was vacant. So, we went down the driveway, parked, and walked down memory lane with Kate (as the two others with us were already asleep in the car).

we looked in windows.

we walked around the yard.


this is the kitchen, with the exact same light fixture

same paneling
Kate uncovering a brick patio that has long been covered by leaves

we stared into what used to be his bedroom, and he remarked that his grandfather painted that area, and that color remains.

we drank in as much as we could

we walked down the path he took everyday to the neighborhood pool.

he and Kate climbed up the tree house that Joel's dad built when he was a boy.


it is not often that I am given the chance to imagine what my husband was like as a boy. to wonder what it was like to be his mama. to delight in the safety, the security, the love he enjoyed as a boy. to thank God for my husband's parents, my husband's grandparents. to re-live his memories with him.

thinking of my husband as a boy made me think of my own boys. to remember that I want my boys to be respected and admired by their wives, and that my husband needs this from me.
am I giving my husband what he needs?
heart check.

can you see? in the deep pile of leaves all over the deck that has not been nurtured or cared for,
up springs new life, new growth

this spoke to me
God makes all things new


i have been entrusted with much.

No comments:

Post a Comment